Animal Info - Nepal


Contents

Threatened Species, Environmental and Social Data (Mammals, Biodiversity/Ecosystems, Population, Area/Land Use, Protected Lands, Economy, Education), References and Links


Threatened Species

Threatened Species: The following list includes all mammals which occur in Nepal and are rated as Critically Endangered (CR), Endangered (EN) or Vulnerable (VU) in the 2004 IUCN Red List of Threatened Animals.

  • Critically Endangered:
  • Endangered:
  • Vulnerable:
    • Argali (Ovis ammon).
    • Asiatic Golden Cat (Catopuma temminckii). 
    • Assamese Macaque (Macaca assamensis).
    • Barasingha (Cervus duvauceli).
    • Blackbuck (Antilope cervicapra).
    • Clouded Leopard (Neofelis nebulosa).
    • Dhole (Cuon alpinus).
    • Eurasian Otter (Lutra lutra).
    • Fishing Cat (Prionailurus viverrinus).
    • Four-horned Antelope (Tetracerus quadricornis).
    • Gaur (Bos frontalis).
    • Himalayan Black Bear (Ursus thibetanus).
    • Himalayan Tahr (Hemitragus jemlahicus).
    • Irrawaddy Squirrel (Callosciurus pygerythrus).
    • Mainland Serow (Capricornis sumatraensis).
    • Malayan Porcupine (Hystrix brachyura).
    • Mandelli's Mouse-eared Bat (Myotis sicarius).
    • Marbled Cat (Pardofelis marmorata).
    • Sikkim Rat (Rattus sikkimensis). 
    • Sloth Bear (Melursus ursinus).
    • Smooth-coated Otter (Lutra perspicillata).
    • Wild Yak (Bos grunniens).

Environmental and Social Data

Mammals

Total number of species: 167 (Groombridge & Jenkins 1994)
Number of endemic species: 1 (Groombridge & Jenkins 1994)
Number of threatened species: 1996: 28 (17 % of total species) (IUCN 1996); 2000: 30 (18 % of total species) (IUCN 2000)

Biodiversity/Ecosystems

Nepal contains portions of the Western Himalayan Temperate Forests, Eastern Himalayan Broadleaf & Conifer Forests, Eastern Himalayan Alpine Meadows, and Terai-Duar Savannas & Grasslands Global 200 Ecoregions (Olson & Dinerstein 1998, Olson & Dinerstein 1999)
Nepal contains portions of the Eastern Himalayas Global Biodiversity Hotspot (Cons. Intl. 1999a)

Population

Population in 1995: 22,579,000 (Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995)
Population density in 1995: 160.4 people/sq km (415.3 people/sq mi) (Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995)
Population in 1998: 23,698,421 (World Almanac 1999)
Average population growth rate, 1980 - 1990: 2.6 % (World Bank 1992)

Area/Land Use

Area: 140,797 sq km (54,362 sq mi) (Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995)
Percentages of primary world ecosystem types:

  • Polar and Alpine: 23 %
  • Interrupted Woods: 35 %
  • Major Forests: 42 %

(Groombridge 1992)

Percent of land area classified as the following degree of human disturbance: Low: 21 %, Medium: 65 %, High: 14 % (WRI 1994)

Protected Lands

Area: 11,260 sq km (4,346 sq mi) (Groombridge 1992)
Percent of land protected: 7.17 % totally protected, 0.79 % partially protected, 7.96 % totally or partially protected (Groombridge 1992)

Economy

Per capita GNP ($ U.S.) (1991): $170 (WRI 1994)
Per capita GDP ($ U.S.) (1996): $1,200 (World Almanac 1999)

Education

Percent of females in secondary education (1989): 17 % (World Bank 1992)
Percent adult literacy: Female: 13 % (1990), 3 % (1970); Male: 38 % (1990), 23 % (1970) (WRI 1994)


References and Links

References: Cons. Intl. 1999a, Groombridge 1992, Groombridge & Jenkins 1994, IUCN 1994, IUCN 1996, IUCN 2000, IUCN 2004, Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995, Olson & Dinerstein 1998, Olson & Dinerstein 1999, World Almanac 1999, World Bank 1992, WRI 1994

General Links (After you get to one of these sites, click on the link for Nepal): CIA World Factbook, Foreign Embassies of Washington, D.C., Library of Congress - Country Studies, University of Texas - Country Maps, Washington Post - Countries, World Resources Institute - Country ProfilesLinks for NepalNepal Home Page, nepalnews.com, World Wildlife Fund - Nepal, World Wide Web Virtual Library - Nepal


Top of Page | Search This Site

Home | Rarest Mammals | Species Index | Species Groups Index | Country Index | Links


Last modified: February 19, 2006;

1999 - 2014 Animal Info. Endangered animals of the world. SJ Contact Us.