Animal Info - Sudan

Contents

Threatened Species, Environmental and Social Data (Mammals, Biodiversity/Ecosystems, Population, Area/Land Use, Protected Lands, Economy, Education), References and Links


Threatened Species

Threatened Species: The following list includes all mammals which occur in Sudan and are rated as Critically Endangered (CR), Endangered (EN) or Vulnerable (VU) in the 2004 IUCN Red List of Threatened Animals

  • Critically Endangered:
    • Addax (Addax nasomaculatus). 
    • African Wild Ass (Equus africanus).
    • Burton's Gerbil (Gerbillus burtoni). (Endemic to Sudan.)
    • Four-spotted Gerbil (Gerbillus quadrimaculatus). (Endemic to Sudan.)
    • Lowe's Gerbil (Gerbillus lowei). (Endemic to Sudan.)
    • Principal Gerbil (Gerbillus principulus). (Endemic to Sudan.)
  • Endangered:
  • Vulnerable:
    • African Elephant (Loxodonta africana).
    • Barbary Sheep (Ammotragus lervia).
    • Cheetah (Acinonyx jubatus).
    • Desert Pipistrelle (Bat) (Pipistrellus ariel). 
    • Dorcas Gazelle (Gazella dorcas). 
    • Dugong (Dugong dugon).
    • Large-eared Free-tailed Bat (Otomops martiensseni).
    • Lesser Horseshoe Bat (Rhinolophus hipposideros).
    • Lion (Panthera leo).
    • Red-fronted Gazelle (Gazella rufifrons).
    • Soemmerring's Gazelle (Gazella soemmerringii).
    • Spotted-necked Otter (Lutra maculicollis). 
    • Tomb Bat Species (Taphozous hamiltoni).

Environmental and Social Data

Mammals

Total number of species: 267 (Groombridge & Jenkins 1994)
Number of endemic species: 11 (Groombridge & Jenkins 1994)
Number of threatened species: 1996: 21 (8 % of total species) (IUCN 1996); 2000: 26 (10 % of total species) (IUCN 2000

Biodiversity/Ecosystems

Sudan contains portions of the Northeastern Congo Basin Forests, Sudanian Savannas, East African Acacia Savannas, Red Sea Fog Woodlands, Sudd Flooded Grasslands & Savannas, Ethiopian Highlands, and Red Sea Marine Ecosystems Global 200 Ecoregions (Olson & Dinerstein 1998, Olson & Dinerstein 1999)

Population

Population in 1995: 28,098,000 (Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995)
Population density in 1995: 11.2 people/sq km (29.0 people/sq mi) (Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995)
Population in 1998: 33,550,552 (World Almanac 1999)
Average population growth rate, 1980 - 1990: 2.7 % (World Bank 1992)

Area/Land Use

Area: 2,505,814 sq km (967,500 sq mi) (Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995)
Percentages of primary world ecosystem types:

  • Other Coastal Aquatic: 1 %
  • Major Wetland: 2 %
  • Desert and Semi-desert: 24 %
  • Grass and Shrub: 52 %
  • Crop and Settlements: 10 %
  • Interrupted Woods: 8 %
  • Major Forests: 2 %

(Groombridge 1992)

Percent of land area classified as the following degree of human disturbance: Low: 32 %, Medium: 59 %, High: 9 % (WRI 1994)

Protected Lands

Area: 93,580 sq km (36,122 sq mi) (Groombridge 1992)
Percent of land protected: 3.39 % totally protected, 0.34 % partially protected, 3.73 % totally or partially protected (Groombridge 1992)

Economy

Per capita GDP ($ U.S.) (1996): $860 (World Almanac 1999)

Education

Percent adult literacy: Female: 12 % (1990), 6 % (1970); Male: 43 % (1990) 28 % (1970) (WRI 1994)


References and Links

References: Groombridge 1992, Groombridge & Jenkins 1994, IUCN 1994, IUCN 1996, IUCN 2000, IUCN 2004, Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995, Olson & Dinerstein 1998, Olson & Dinerstein 1999, World Almanac 1999, World Bank 1992, WRI 1994

General Links (After you get to one of these sites, click on the link for Sudan): CIA World Factbook, Foreign Embassies of Washington, D.C., Library of Congress - Country Studies, University of Texas - Country Maps, Washington Post - Countries, World Resources Institute - Country ProfilesLinks for SudanSudan Net


Top of Page | Search This Site

Home | Rarest Mammals | Species Index | Species Groups Index | Country Index | Links


Last modified: August 3, 2006;

1999 - 2014 Animal Info. Endangered animals of the world. SJ Contact Us.