Animal Info - Poland


Contents

Threatened Species, Environmental and Social Data (Mammals, Biodiversity/Ecosystems, Population, Area/Land Use, Protected Lands, Economy, Education), References and Links


Threatened Species

Threatened Species: The following list includes all mammals which occur in Poland and are rated as Critically Endangered (CR), Endangered (EN) or Vulnerable (VU) in the 2004 IUCN Red List of Threatened Animals

  • Endangered:
    • European Bison (Bison bonasus). (Re-introduced populations.)
    • European Mink (Mustela lutreola). 
    • Fin Whale (Balaenoptera physalus).
    • Sei Whale (Balaenoptera borealis).
  • Vulnerable:
    • Bechstein's Bat (Myotis bechsteini).
    • Eurasian Otter (Lutra lutra). 
    • European Squirrel (Spermophilus citellus).
    • Garden Dormouse (Eliomys quercinus). 
    • Geoffroy's Bat (Myotis emarginatus).
    • Harbor Porpoise (Phocoena phocoena).
    • Humpback Whale (Megaptera novaeangliae).
    • Lesser Horseshoe Bat (Rhinolophus hipposideros).
    • Pond Bat (Myotis dasycneme).
    • Spotted Souslik (Spermophilus suslicus).
    • Western Barbastelle (Bat) (Barbastella barbastellus).
    • White Whale (Delphinapterus leucas). 

Environmental and Social Data

Mammals

Total number of species: 79 (Groombridge & Jenkins 1994)
Number of endemic species: 0 (Groombridge & Jenkins 1994)
Number of threatened species: 1996: 10* (13 % of total species) (IUCN 1996); 2000: 16 (20 % of total species) (IUCN 2000 [*Whales were not listed by country in 1996.]

Biodiversity/Ecosystems

Poland contains portions of the Southern European Montane Forests Global 200 Ecoregion (Olson & Dinerstein 1998, Olson & Dinerstein 1999)

Population

Population in 1995: 38,613,000 (Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995)
Population density in 1995: 123.5 people/sq km (319.8 people/sq mi) (Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995)
Population in 1998: 38,606,922 (World Almanac 1999)
Average population growth rate, 1980 - 1990: 0.7 % (World Bank 1992)

Area/Land Use

Area: 312,676 sq km (120,725 sq mi) (Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995)
Percentages of primary world ecosystem types:

  • Other Coastal Aquatic: 2 %
  • Grass and Shrub: 4 %
  • Crop and Settlements: 45 %
  • Interrupted Woods: 38 %
  • Major Forests: 10 %

(Groombridge 1992)

Percent of land area classified as the following degree of human disturbance: Low: 0 %, Medium: 13 %, High: 87 % (WRI 1994)

Protected Lands

Area: 22,420 sq km (8,654 sq mi) (Groombridge 1992)
Percent of land protected: 0.48 % totally protected, 6.69 % partially protected, 7.17 % totally or partially protected (Groombridge 1992)

Economy

Per capita GNP ($ U.S.) (1991): $1,787 (WRI 1994)
Per capita GDP ($ U.S.) (1996): $6,400 (World Almanac 1999)

Education

Percent of females in secondary education (1989): 83 % (World Bank 1992)


References and Links

References: Groombridge 1992, Groombridge & Jenkins 1994, IUCN 1994, IUCN 1996, IUCN 2000IUCN 2004, Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995, Olson & Dinerstein 1998, Olson & Dinerstein 1999, World Almanac 1999, World Bank 1992, WRI 1994

General Links (After you get to one of these sites, click on the link for Poland): CIA World Factbook, Foreign Embassies of Washington, D.C., Library of Congress - Country Studies, University of Texas - Country Maps, Washington Post - Countries, World Resources Institute - Country ProfilesLinks for PolandPolish World, WWF - Poland (Swiatowy Fundusz Na Rzecz Przyrody) (English and Polish)


Top of Page | Search This Site

Home | Rarest Mammals | Species Index | Species Groups Index | Country Index | Links


Last modified: November 9, 2005;

1999 - 2014 Animal Info. Endangered animals of the world. SJ Contact Us.