Animal Info - Uruguay


Contents

Threatened Species, Environmental and Social Data (Mammals, Biodiversity/Ecosystems, Population, Area/Land Use, Protected Lands, Economy, Education), References and Links


Threatened Species

Threatened Species: The following list includes all mammals which occur in Uruguay and are rated as Critically Endangered (CR), Endangered (EN) or Vulnerable (VU) in the 2004 IUCN Red List of Threatened Animals

  • Endangered:
    • Blue Whale (Balaenoptera musculus).
    • Giant Armadillo (Priodontes maximus).
    • Giant Otter (Pteronura brasiliensis). 
    • Sei Whale (Balaenoptera borealis).
  • Vulnerable:
    • Giant Anteater (Myrmecophaga tridactyla).
    • Marsh Deer (Blastocerus dichotomus).
    • Sperm Whale (Physeter catodon).
    • Strange Big-eared Brown Bat (Histiotus alienus).

Environmental and Social Data

Mammals

Total number of species: 81 (Groombridge & Jenkins 1994)
Number of endemic species: 1 (Groombridge & Jenkins 1994)
Number of threatened species: 1996: 5* (6 % of total species) (IUCN 1996); 2000: 8 (10 % of total species) (IUCN 2000) [*Whales were not listed by country in 1996.]

Biodiversity/Ecosystems

Uruguay contains portions of the Southwest Atlantic Coast Marine Ecosystems Global 200 Ecoregion (Olson & Dinerstein 1998, Olson & Dinerstein 1999)

Population

Population in 1995: 3,186,000 (Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995)
Population density in 1995: 18.1 people/sq km (46.8 people/sq mi) (Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995)
Population in 1998: 3,284,841 (World Almanac 1999)
Average population growth rate, 1980 - 1990: 0.6 % (World Bank 1992)

Area/Land Use

Area: 176,215 sq km (68,037 sq mi) (Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995)
Percentages of primary world ecosystem types:

  • Other Coastal Aquatic: 5 %
  • Major Wetland: 3 %
  • Grass and Shrub: 66 %
  • Crop and Settlements: 26 %

(Groombridge 1992)

Percent of land area classified as the following degree of human disturbance: Low: 0 %, Medium: 76 %, High: 24 % (WRI 1994)

Protected Lands

Area: 320 sq km (124 sq mi) (Groombridge 1992)
Percent of land protected: 0.08 % totally protected, 0.09 % partially protected, 0.17 % totally or partially protected (Groombridge 1992)

Economy

Per capita GNP ($ U.S.) (1991): $2,883 (WRI 1994)
Per capita GDP ($ U.S.) (1996): $8,000 (World Almanac 1999)

Education

Percent adult literacy: Female: 96 % (1990), 93 % (1970); Male: 97 % (1990), 93 % (1970) (WRI 1994)


References and Links

References: Groombridge 1992, Groombridge & Jenkins 1994, IUCN 1996, IUCN 2000IUCN 2004, Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995, Olson & Dinerstein 1998, Olson & Dinerstein 1999, World Almanac 1999, World Bank 1992, WRI 1994

General Links (After you get to one of these sites, click on the link for Uruguay): CIA World Factbook, Foreign Embassies of Washington, D.C., Library of Congress - Country Studies, University of Texas - Country Maps, Washington Post - Countries, World Resources Institute - Country Profiles


Top of Page | Search This Site

Home | Rarest Mammals | Species Index | Species Groups Index | Country Index | Links


Last modified: November 9, 2005;

1999 - 2014 Animal Info. Endangered animals of the world. SJ Contact Us.