Animal Info - Suriname

Contents

Threatened Species, Environmental and Social Data (Mammals, Biodiversity/Ecosystems, Population, Area/Land Use, Protected Lands, Economy, Education), References and Links


Threatened Species

Threatened Species: The following list includes all mammals which occur in Suriname and are rated as Critically Endangered (CR), Endangered (EN) or Vulnerable (VU) in the 2004 IUCN Red List of Threatened Animals

  • Endangered:
    • Fin Whale (Balaenoptera physalus).
    • Giant Armadillo (Priodontes maximus).
    • Giant Otter (Pteronura brasiliensis). 
    • Sei Whale (Balaenoptera borealis).
  • Vulnerable:
    • American Manatee (Trichechus manatus).
    • Bush Dog (Speothos venaticus).
    • Carriker's Round-eared Bat (Tonatia carrikeri).
    • Giant Anteater (Myrmecophaga tridactyla).
    • Guianan Bonneted Bat (Eumops maurus). 
    • Schultz's Round-eared Bat (Tonatia schulzi). (Tonatia schulzi).
    • Sperm Whale (Physeter catodon).

Environmental and Social Data

Mammals

Total number of species: 180 (Groombridge & Jenkins 1994)
Number of endemic species: 2 (Groombridge & Jenkins 1994)
Number of threatened species: 1996: 10 (5.6 % of total species) (IUCN 1996); 2000: 11 (6.1 % of total species) (IUCN 2000

Biodiversity/Ecosystems

Suriname contains portions of the Guayanan Forests and the Orinoco-Amazon Mangroves & Coastal Swamps Global 200 Ecoregions (Olson & Dinerstein 1998, Olson & Dinerstein 1999)

Population

Population in 1995: 423,000 (Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995)
Population density in 1995: 2.6 people/sq km (6.7 people/sq mi) (Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995)
Population in 1998: 427,980 (World Almanac 1999)

Area/Land Use

Area: 163,265 sq km (63,037 sq mi) (Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995)
Percentages of primary world ecosystem types:

  • Major Wetland: 8 %
  • Grass and Shrub: 33 %
  • Crop and Settlements: 6 %
  • Major Forests: 53 %

(Groombridge 1992)

Percent of land area classified as the following degree of human disturbance: Low: 91 %, Medium: 3 %, High: 6 % (WRI 1994)

Protected Lands

Area: 7,360 sq km (2,841 sq mi) (Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995)
Percent of land protected: 0.53 % totally protected, 3.96 % partially protected, 4.49 % totally or partially protected (Groombridge 1992)

Economy

Per capita GNP ($ U.S.) (1991): $3,874 (WRI 1994)
Per capita GDP ($ U.S.) (1996): $3,150 (World Almanac 1999)

Education

Percent adult literacy: Female: 95 % (1990); Male: 95 % (1990) (WRI 1994)


References and Links

References: Groombridge 1992, Groombridge & Jenkins 1994, IUCN 1996, IUCN 2000, IUCN 2004, Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995, Olson & Dinerstein 1998, Olson & Dinerstein 1999, World Almanac 1999, WRI 1994

General Links (After you get to one of these sites, click on the link for Suriname): CIA World Factbook, Foreign Embassies of Washington, D.C., Library of Congress - Country Studies, University of Texas - Country Maps, Washington Post - Countries, World Resources Institute - Country ProfilesLinks for SurinameConservation International - Suriname, WWF Expeditions - The Rivers of Guianas


Top of Page | Search This Site

Home | Rarest Mammals | Species Index | Species Groups Index | Country Index | Links


Last modified: November 5, 2005;

1999 - 2014 Animal Info. Endangered animals of the world. SJ Contact Us.