Animal Info - South Korea


Contents

Threatened Species, Environmental and Social Data (Mammals, Biodiversity/Ecosystems, Population, Area/Land Use, Protected Lands, Economy, Education), References and Links


Threatened Species

Threatened Species: The following list includes all mammals which occur in South Korea and are rated as Critically Endangered (CR), Endangered (EN) or Vulnerable (VU) in the 2004 IUCN Red List of Threatened Animals

  • Endangered:
    • Blue Whale (Balaenoptera musculus).
    • Fin Whale (Balaenoptera physalus).
    • Northern Right Whale (Eubalaena glacialis).
    • Sei Whale (Balaenoptera borealis).
    • Ussuri Tube-nosed Bat (Murina ussuriensis).
  • Vulnerable:
    • Asiatic Black Bear (Ursus thibetanus).
    • Dhole (Cuon alpinus). 
    • Dugong (Dugong dugon). 
    • Eurasian Otter (Lutra lutra). 
    • Harbor Porpoise (Phocoena phocoena).
    • Humpback Whale (Megaptera novaeangliae).
    • Long-tailed Goral (Naemorhedus caudatus).
    • Siberian Musk Deer (Moschus moschiferus).
    • Sperm Whale (Physeter catodon).

Environmental and Social Data

Mammals

Total number of species: 49 (Groombridge & Jenkins 1994)
Number of endemic species: 0 (Groombridge & Jenkins 1994)
Number of threatened species: 1996: 6 (12 % of total species) (IUCN 1996); 2000: 14 (29 % of total species) (IUCN 2000

Biodiversity/Ecosystems

South Korea contains portions of the Yellow Sea & East China Sea Global 200 Ecoregion (Olson & Dinerstein 1998, Olson & Dinerstein 1999)

Population

Population in 1995: 44,851,000 (Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995)
Population density in 1995: 453.0 people/sq km (1173.2 people/sq mi) (Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995)
Population in 1998: 46,416,796 (World Almanac 1999)
Average population growth rate, 1980 - 1990: 1.1 % (World Bank 1992)

Area/Land Use

Area: 99,015 sq km (38,230 sq mi) (Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995)
Percentages of primary world ecosystem types:

  • Other Coastal Aquatic: 10 %
  • Grass and Shrub: 24 %
  • Crop and Settlements: 20 %
  • Interrupted Woods: 24 %
  • Major Forests: 22 %

(Groombridge 1992)

Percent of land area classified as the following degree of human disturbance: Low: 0 %, Medium: 18 %, High: 82 % (WRI 1994)

Protected Lands

Area: 7,570 sq km (2,922 sq mi) (Groombridge 1992)
Percent of land protected:, 0.42 % totally protected, 7.27 % partially protected, 7.69 % totally or partially protected (Groombridge 1992)

Economy

Per capita GNP ($ U.S.) (1991): $6,277 (WRI 1994)
Per capita GDP ($ U.S.) (1996): $14,200 (World Almanac 1999)

Education

Percent of females in secondary education (1989): 84 % (World Bank 1992)
Percent adult literacy: Female: 94 % (1990), 81 % (1970); Male: 99 % (1990), 94 % (1970) (WRI 1994)


References and Links

References: Groombridge 1992, Groombridge & Jenkins 1994, IUCN 1994, IUCN 1996, IUCN 2000IUCN 2004, Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995, Olson & Dinerstein 1998, Olson & Dinerstein 1999, World Almanac 1999, World Bank 1992, WRI 1994

General Links (After you get to one of these sites, click on the link for South Korea): CIA World Factbook, Foreign Embassies of Washington, D.C., Library of Congress - Country Studies, University of Texas - Country Maps, Washington Post - Countries, World Resources Institute - Country Profiles


Top of Page | Search This Site

Home | Rarest Mammals | Species Index | Species Groups Index | Country Index | Links


Last modified: November 9, 2005;

1999 - 2014 Animal Info. Endangered animals of the world. SJ Contact Us.