Animal Info - Haiti

Contents

Threatened Species, Environmental and Social Data (Mammals, Biodiversity/Ecosystems, Population, Area/Land Use, Protected Lands, Economy, Education), References and Links


Threatened Species

Threatened Species: The following list includes all mammals which occur in Haiti and are rated as Critically Endangered (CR), Endangered (EN) or Vulnerable (VU) in the 2004 IUCN Red List of Threatened Animals:


Environmental and Social Data

Mammals

Total number of species: 20 (Groombridge 1992)
Number of endemic species: 0 (Groombridge & Jenkins 1994)
Number of threatened species: 1996 and 2000: 4 (20.0 % of total species) (IUCN 1996, IUCN 2000) 

Biodiversity/Ecosystems

Haiti contains portions of the Greater Antillean Moist Forests, Greater Antillean Pine Forests, Greater Antillean Streams, and Greater Antilles & Bahamian Marine Ecosystems Global 200 Ecoregions (Olson & Dinerstein 1998, Olson & Dinerstein 1999)
Haiti contains portions of the Antilles Global Biodiversity Hotspot (Cons. Intl. 1999a)

Population

Population in 1995: 7,180,000 (Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995)
Population density in 1995: 258.7 people/sq km (670.2 people/sq mi) (Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995)
Population in 1998: 6,780,501 (World Almanac 1999)
Average population growth rate, 1980 - 1990: 1.9 % (World Bank 1992)

Area/Land Use

Area: 27,749 sq km (10,714 sq mi) (Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995)
Percentages of primary world ecosystem types:

  • Other Coastal Aquatic: 21 %
  • Grass and Shrub: 21 %
  • Crop and Settlements: 57 %

(Groombridge 1992)

Percent of land area classified as the following degree of human disturbance: Low: 5 %; Medium: 0 %; High: 95 % (WRI 1994)

Protected Lands

Area: 100 sq km (39 sq mi) (Groombridge 1992)
Percent of land protected: 0.27 % totally protected; 0.08 % partially protected; 0.35 % totally or partially protected (Groombridge 1992)

Economy

Per capita GNP ($ U.S.) (1991): $375 (WRI 1994)
Per capita GDP ($ U.S.) (1996): $1,000 (World Almanac 1999)

Education

Percent of females in secondary education (1989): 19 % (World Bank 1992)
Percent adult literacy: Female: 47 % (1990), 17 % (1970); Male: 59 % (1990), 26 % (1970) (WRI 1994)


References and Links

References: Cons. Intl. 1999a, Groombridge 1992, Groombridge & Jenkins 1994, IUCN 1994, IUCN 1996, IUCN 2000, IUCN 2004, Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995, Olson & Dinerstein 1998, Olson & Dinerstein 1999, World Almanac 1999, World Bank 1992, WRI 1994

General Links (After you get to one of these sites, click on the link for Haiti): CIA World Factbook, Foreign Embassies of Washington, D.C., Library of Congress - Country Studies, University of Texas - Country Maps, Washington Post - Countries, World Resources Institute - Country Profiles


Top of Page | Search This Site

Home | Rarest Mammals | Species Index | Species Groups Index | Country Index | Links


Last modified: November 8, 2005;

1999 - 2014 Animal Info. Endangered animals of the world. SJ Contact Us.