Animal Info - Egypt


Contents

Threatened Species, Environmental and Social Data (Mammals, Biodiversity/Ecosystems, Population, Area/Land Use, Protected Lands, Economy, Education), References and Links


Threatened Species

Threatened Species: The following list includes all mammals which occur in Egypt and are rated as Critically Endangered (CR), Endangered (EN) or Vulnerable (VU) in the 2004 IUCN Red List of Threatened Animals

  • Critically Endangered:
    • Flower's Gerbil (Gerbillus floweri). (Endemic to Egypt.)
  • Endangered:
    • Arabian Oryx (Oryx leucoryx). 
    • Flower's Shrew (Crocidura floweri). (Endemic to Egypt.)
    • Four-toed Jerboa (Allactaga tetradactyla).
    • Nubian Ibex (Capra nubiana).
    • Slender-horned Gazelle (Gazella leptoceros).
  • Vulnerable:
    • Barbary Sheep (Ammotragus lervia). 
    • Bonhote's Gerbil (Gerbillus bonhotei). (Endemic to Egypt.)
    • Desert Pipistrelle (Pipistrellus ariel). 
    • Dorcas Gazelle (Gazella dorcas). 
    • Dugong (Dugong dugon).
    • Lesser Horseshoe Bat (Rhinolophus hipposideros).
    • Mediterranean Horseshoe Bat (Rhinolophus euryale).
    • Mehelyi's Horseshoe Bat (Rhinolophus mehelyi).

Environmental and Social Data

Mammals

Total number of species: 102 (Groombridge & Jenkins 1994)
Number of endemic species: 7 (Groombridge & Jenkins 1994)
Number of threatened species: 1996: 15 (15 % of total species) (IUCN 1996); 2000: 14 (14 % of total species) (IUCN 2000)

Biodiversity/Ecosystems

Egypt contains portions of the Red Sea Fog Woodlands and the Red Sea Marine Ecosystems Global 200 Ecoregions (Olson & Dinerstein 1998, Olson & Dinerstein 1999)

Population

Population in 1995: 61,948,000 (Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995)
Population density in 1995: 61.9 people/sq km (160.2 people/sq mi) (Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995)
Population in 1998: 66,050,004 (World Almanac 1999)
Average population growth rate, 1980 - 1990: 2.4 % (World Bank 1992)

Area/Land Use

Area: 1,001,450 sq km (386,662 sq mi) (Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995)
Percentages of primary world ecosystem types:

  • Other Coastal Aquatic: 3 %
  • Desert and Semi-desert: 76 %
  • Grass and Shrub: 8 %
  • Crop and Settlements: 13 %

(Groombridge 1992)

Percent of land area classified as the following degree of human disturbance: Low: 79 %; Medium: 15 %; High: 6 % (WRI 1994)

Protected Lands

Area: 8,000 sq km (3,088 sq mi) (Groombridge 1992)
Percent of land protected: 0.06 % totally protected; 0.74 % partially protected; 0.8 % totally or partially protected (Groombridge 1992)

Economy

Per capita GNP ($ U.S.) (1991): $611 (WRI 1994)
Per capita GDP ($ U.S.) (1996): $2,900 (World Almanac 1999)

Education

Percent of females in secondary education (1989): 71 % (World Bank 1992)
Percent adult literacy: Female: 34 % (1990), 20 % (1970); Male: 63 % (1990), 50 % (1970) (WRI 1994)


References and Links

References: Groombridge 1992, Groombridge & Jenkins 1994, IUCN 1994, IUCN 1996, IUCN 2000, IUCN 2004, Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995, Olson & Dinerstein 1998, Olson & Dinerstein 1999, World Almanac 1999, World Bank 1992, WRI 1994

General Links (After you get to one of these sites, click on the link for Egypt): CIA World Factbook, Foreign Embassies of Washington, D.C., Library of Congress - Country Studies, University of Texas - Country Maps, Washington Post - Countries, World Resources Institute - Country Profiles : Egypt Tourism


Top of Page | Search This Site

Home | Rarest Mammals | Species Index | Species Groups Index | Country Index | Links


Last modified: August 2, 2006;

1999 - 2014 Animal Info. Endangered animals of the world. SJ Contact Us.