Animal Info - Belize

(Formerly British Honduras)


Contents

Threatened Species, Environmental and Social Data (Mammals, Biodiversity/Ecosystems, Population, Area/Land Use, Protected Lands, Economy, Education), References and Links


Threatened Species

Threatened Species: The following list includes all mammals which occur in Belize and are rated as Critically Endangered (CR), Endangered (EN) or Vulnerable (VU) in the 2004 IUCN Red List of Threatened Animals:

  • Vulnerable:
    • American Manatee (Trichechus manatus).
    • Central American Tapir (Tapirus bairdii).
    • Central American Woolly Opossum (Caluromys derbianus).
    • Giant Anteater (Myrmecophaga tridactyla). 
    • Van Gelder's Bat (Antrozous dubiaquercus).

Environmental and Social Data

Mammals

Total number of species: 125 (Groombridge & Jenkins 1994)
Number of endemic species: 0 (Groombridge & Jenkins 1994)
Number of threatened species: 1996 and 2000: 5 (4 % of total species) (IUCN 1996, IUCN 2000) 

Biodiversity/Ecosystems

Belize contains portions of the Central American Mangroves and Meso-American Reef Global 200 Ecoregions (Olson & Dinerstein 1998, Olson & Dinerstein 1999)
Belize contains portions of the Meso-American Forests Global Biodiversity Hotspot (Cons. Intl. 1999a)

Population

Population in 1995: 214,000 (Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995)
Population density in 1995: 9.3 people/sq km (24.1 people/sq mi) (Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995)
Population in 1998: 230,160 (World Almanac 1999)

Area/Land Use

Area: 22,965 sq km (8,867 sq mi) (Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995)
Percentages of primary world ecosystem types:

  • Interrupted Woods: 17 %
  • Major Forests: 83 %

(Groombridge 1992)

Percent of land area classified as the following degree of human disturbance: Low: 36 %; Medium: 0 %; High: 64 % (WRI 1994)

Protected Lands

Area: 1,180 sq km (455 sq mi) (Groombridge 1992)
Percent of land protected: 0.18 % totally protected; 4.96 % partially protected, 5.14 % totally or partially protected (Groombridge 1992)

Economy

Per capita GNP ($ U.S.) (1991): $2,176 (WRI 1994)
Per capita GDP ($ U.S.) (1996): $2,960 (World Almanac 1999)


References and Links

References: Cons. Intl. 1999a, Groombridge 1992, Groombridge & Jenkins 1994, IUCN 1996, IUCN 2000, IUCN 2004, Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995, Olson & Dinerstein 1998, Olson & Dinerstein 1999, World Almanac 1999, World Bank 1992, WRI 1994

General Links (After you get to one of these sites, click on the link for Belize): CIA World Factbook, Foreign Embassies of Washington, D.C., Library of Congress - Country Studies, University of Texas - Country Maps, Washington Post - Countries, World Resources Institute - Country ProfilesLinks for BelizeBelize Audubon Society, Belize Biodiversity Information System, Belize by Naturalight, Belize Zoo, The Nature Conservancy - Belize, WWF Expeditions - Mesoamerican Reef


Top of Page | Search This Site

Home | Rarest Mammals | Species Index | Species Groups Index | Country Index | Links


Last modified: November 4, 2005; 2005 Animal Info

1999 - 2014 Animal Info. Endangered animals of the world. SJ Contact Us.