Animal Info - Afghanistan

Contents

Threatened Species, Environmental and Social Data (Mammals, Biodiversity/Ecosystems, Population, Area/Land Use, Protected Lands, Economy, Education), References and Links


Threatened Species

Threatened Species: The following list includes all mammals which occur in Afghanistan and are rated as Critically Endangered (CR), Endangered (EN) or Vulnerable (VU) in the 2004 IUCN Red List of Threatened Animals

  • Endangered:
  • Vulnerable:
    • Argali (Ovis ammon).
    • Asiatic Black Bear (Ursus thibetanus).
    • Eurasian Otter (Lutra lutra). 
    • Geoffroy's Bat (Myotis emarginatus).
    • Kashmir Cave Bat (Myotis longipes).
    • Lesser Horshoe Bat (Rhinolophus hipposideros).
    • Mehely's Horseshoe Bat (Rhinolophus mehelyi).
    • Mouflon (or Urial) (Ovis orientalis).
    • Sind Bat (Eptesicus nasutus).
    • Wild Goat (Capra aegagrus).

Environmental and Social Data

Mammals

Total number of species: 123 (Groombridge & Jenkins 1994)
Number of endemic species: 0 (Groombridge & Jenkins 1994)
Number of threatened species: 1996: 11 (9 % of total species) (IUCN 1996); 2000: 14 (11 % of total species) (IUCN 2000)

Biodiversity/Ecosystems

Afghanistan contains portions of the Middle Asian Mountains Temperate Forests and Central Asian Sandy Deserts Global 200 Ecoregions (Olson & Dinerstein 1998, Olson & Dinerstein 1999)

Population

Population in 1995: 18,410,000 (Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995)
Population density in 1995: 28.2 people/sq km (73.1 people/sq mi) (Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995)
Population in 1998: 24,792,375 (World Almanac 1999)

Area/Land Use

Area: 652,089 sq km (251,773 sq mi) (Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995)
Percentages of primary world ecosystem types:

  • Desert and Semi-desert: 11 %
  • Polar and Alpine: 16 %
  • Grass and Shrub: 62 %
  • Interrupted Woods: 7 %
  • Major Forests: 4 %

(Groombridge 1992)

Percent of land area classified as the following degree of human disturbance: Low: 17 %; Medium: 75 %; High: 8 % (WRI 1994)

Protected Lands

Area: 1,830 sq km (706 sq mi) (Groombridge 1992)
Percent of land protected: 0.06 % totally protected; 0.22 % partially protected; 0.28 % totally or partially protected (Groombridge 1992)

Economy

Per capita GNP ($ U.S.) (1991): $1,928 (WRI 1994)
Per capita GDP ($ U.S.) (1996): $800 (World Almanac 1999)

Education

Percent of females in secondary education (1989): 5 % (World Bank 1992)
Percent adult literacy: Female: 14 % (1990), 2 % (1970); Male: 44 % (1990), 13 % (1970) (WRI 1994)


References and Links

References: Groombridge 1992, Groombridge & Jenkins 1994, IUCN 1994, IUCN 1996, IUCN 2000, IUCN 2004, Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995, Olson & Dinerstein 1998, Olson & Dinerstein 1999, World Almanac 1999, World Bank 1992, WRI 1992, WRI 1994

General Links (After you get to one of these sites, click on the link for Afghanistan): CIA World Factbook, Foreign Embassies of Washington, D.C., Library of Congress - Country Studies, University of Texas - Country Maps, Washington Post - Countries, World Resources Institute - Country Profiles


Top of Page | Search This Site

Home | Rarest Mammals | Species Index | Species Groups Index | Country Index | Links


Last modified: November 8, 2004;

1999 - 2014 Animal Info. Endangered animals of the world. SJ Contact Us.